Another Dead Owner Surrendered Dog Athens Georgia RIP Happy Boy



Roscoe is dead because his owners didn't care enough about him. He was a disposable dog. People in this country want change. That is what the U.S. Presidential election is about. I believe government can't change a thing until people start taking some responsibility for their actions and see how their actions may cause harm to others, their communities, their country and the world. The simple act of dumping your dog because you don't want the dog at a kill shelter knowing they will most likely be KILLED shows how unable people are to take RESPONSIBILITY. No one made you take the dog in the first place. Well the government was not set up to kill your dogs because you don't want them anymore. Animal cruelty laws does make it a crime to drown and shoot unwanted pets but it is done anyways. It is a problem that doesn't have to be a problem if people spayed and neutered their animals and took some RESPONSIBILITY.
Before anything changes in this world we each have to change inside ourselves. I think the shelters should fine people a lot of money for dropping off healthy dogs because they don't want them anymore. I THINK THE OWNERS WHO SURRENDER THEIR PETS TO HIGH KILL SHELTERS SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO WATCH THEIR PETS DIE.

I know the world has big problems. I think when people stop killing helpless animals they may stop and reconsider the value of all life.

RIP Roscoe. Your pleas to live went unheard.



Roscoe - #26419 Urgent Case!
(When calling about a dog, refer to the dog by its ledger number, not its name!!)

Age: 10 years
Breed: Pointer/Border Collie mix
Gender: Male - Neutered!
Impound date: 6/27
Ledger number: 26419


"Why Choose Me?

I'm sad to say that Roscoe is yet another owner surrender here at the shelter because his owners are moving. This means that his time is extremely short since our shelter is so full. The cards are stacked against this happy fellow because of his age as well. :( Poor guy. He's housebroken and good with young kids and other dogs. He doesn't chew things and is used to being left inside most of the day with no problem. He also enjoys the outdoors, however, so he'll be happy in any type of new home. He can sit and shake on command. He's very easy-going and would be a low-maintenance pet. This angel didn't live 10 years of devoted loyalty only to have his life end here. Please, please give him a chance to live out the rest of his years in a safe, comfortable place. That is the fate he deserves...not this."

NO LONGER AVAILABLE:-(

There are other animals at the pound who need help. Please look at list.

http://www.athensclarkecounty.com/animalcontrol/shelter.htm

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a real shame some people won't take the responsibility for their dogs.
I had to move out recently and find a new place with two dogs over 50lbs each and I live in a not-so-dog-friendly area. I would have done ANY of the things on the list of options in the poll (except boarding since that would eat up my life savings in a heartbeat) before giving up my dogs. Let me rephrase that: I would never give up my dogs.

I had to make resumes for them, I had someone lined up to look after them for a while if I couldn't find a place in time, I looked up my legal rights (found out I couldn't be charged a damage AND pet deposit), I was prepared to sleep in my car if my friend could not look after the dogs and finally I negotiated with my current landlord and found a wonderful apartment to live in with both my boys.

I'd do it all over again if I needed to and I'd be prepared to take the worst of it and still would never consider giving up my dogs.

Poor Roscoe, you deserved so much better.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much Hazel for telling your story. It shows people that there ARE WAYS to keep your pets. It takes perseverance and determination.
I feel so bad about Roscoe. He had such good doggie qualities. He was a dog that a family would have loved if he had been given a chance.
If you care about your pet, please don't take him or her to a high kill shelter. Some of these shelters gas animals. Can you imagine a dog like sweet Roscoe being put in a gas chamber and dying in such an awful way? Roscoe did nothing wrong. He was a good boy. His owners could have done more for him. They didn't fight for his life.

Anonymous said...

There are so many helpless animals that only want to love and be loved. I will never understand how anyone can live with themselves after dumping a poor animal at a kill shelter. I agree - make them watch their pet die. But then there are the people who would not be effected.

The local governments need to step up and put spay/neuter laws on the books with huge fines for not obeying.

Shelters fining people for dropping off animals only cause them to be dumped along the road.

People need to take responsibility. If you can no longer care for your animal, TRY to find someone who will. Don't take the easy way out.

Truthfully, I try not to read these blogs. There is just so much dispair when it comes to pets. But I just keep getting pulled back in. That's why in my family between 3 households we have 19 dogs, 8 cats and 1 goat. All but 2 are rescues. Everyone gets proper care, love, food, water, shelter and proper vetting. Several have issues due to prior treatment but everyone has their place. We know who gets along with who and who doesn't. They range from 18 years (a cat) to about 10 weeks. If the proper loving home comes along, some may be placed. If not, the love and care will continue with us.

So no one gets sympathy from me when they can't take care of one poor old dog or cat.

Thank God for all those working to help save the unwanted animals and may our Maker remember those who abandon his animals.

Elizabeth said...

I know what you mean about the despair but being pulled back. When you see pleading scared eyes or a wagging tail or hear a purr it is hard not to want to help in anyway you are able.

I admire your family for taking in all the animals and you make a good point about the need for fines for not spaying and neutering.