Update 5/9 WHO Knew? May 6, 2009 " Please save Bentley - isn''t one year in a shelter enough?" KY


Bentley's Petfinder listing:
What a Big Sweetie. He needs to have a loving owner. Is it You?
Grayson is very rescue friendly and will drive long distances to get a dog to safety with the right owner or rescue. They are devoted to the animals in their care.




"A wonderful friend of the shelter purchased DNA test kits for Bentley and Babette. Babette's came back with only one result. All boxer.

Bentley's took a little longer to return and I supposed it was because they had to do more testing. He received his Ancestry Certificate yesterday.
He is so excited that we now know more that he couldn't tell us.

He tested

Level 1 - 75% or greater of his DNA was

BOXER

Level 4 - 10-19% of his DNA was

Doberman Pinchser

Level 4 - 10-19% of his DNA was

Schnauzer(think giant schnauzer here)


Bentley didn't seem too surprised but he was certainly amused by my reaction. That coy boy!



The following was written by someone at the shelter and a visitor to the shelter."


"Suave. Sophisticated. A Man of the world. What James Bond and Bentley have in common. Part Great Dane, part American Staff. Passionate and adventurous, he has a way with the ladies (see his video with Daisy). Yet he also knows how to relax and enjoy the finer things in life--like steak for breakfast. Bentley would like nothing more than a human to walk beside. Get ready for lots of attention, though--he's a head turner!

Bentley was brought to our shelter in February along with Jetta and their very young pups. Jetta and pups were rescued, but Bentley, being the gentleman, stayed behind and let the children and ladies get rescued. He is about 3 - 4 years old. Bentley runs in the field with Daisy and we feel sure he would do well with most females, but he likes being the only man around. As you can see, he loves to play. This gentleman has waited so very patiently for his rescue. Please help him get out of here! "

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v367/djrr/Grayson%20dogs/?action=view&current=Bentley2-2.flv


Bentley has always been one of my favorite dogs listed at Grayson. There's just something about him that I have always liked, so when I arrived at Grayson I couldn't wait to meet Bentley and see if he was like what I had imagined. I was surprised to find he was much smaller than I thought he looked in his pictures. He is smaller than my Angelina, although they might weigh about the same. I went out to the field with Bentley and Daisy, and I tried to play with Bentley, but he didn't seem to want to play. He sort of ignored me, and when I would catch his attention he would look at me with this deep well of sadness in his eyes. No tail wags for me.

I was a little disappointed in this reception, so I talked to Donna about it, and she told me that sometimes dogs get like Bentley is becoming when they have been in the shelter for a very long time. I guess if you watch human after human walk up to your run, and then just walk on by, after a while you would cease to believe that someone would be coming for you.

In the days I was there I made an effort to get to know all the long-termers at Grayson, but I tried to spend more time talking to Bentley, and I even took him for a walk, just us. He was very well behaved on the leash, and walked so nicely with me. Still no tail wag, and that same dreadful sadness in his eyes. He's seen me before - the person who shows up and pays a little attention, then leaves.

When it was time to leave for home, I went around the shelter one last time to say goodbye to all the wonderful dog and cat friends I had made in my time visiting Grayson. Bentley and Daisy's run is at the end of the shelter, so I worked my way down towards him, and when I got there, Daisy was in the outside portion of the run, so it was just Bentley and me. I said, "Hi, Bentley" just like I had said every other day, and he looked at me, and his tail gave a couple of wags. So, just as he was getting used to the idea that a human might actually want to spend some time with him, I had to leave. I stood in front of his run and the tears welled up. I wanted so badly to take him home.

Bentley can't come home with me, but he needs to go home with someone very soon, so that he doesn't finally give up on everyone. He is very laid back, not a barker, good with other female dogs, good on leash, and I just know that if someone walked up to his run and didn't walk on by, he would be so devoted to that person, forever and ever. Once he trusts, and opens his heart again, the sadness will go away, and he will love without reservation.

Please, if you can't take Bentley home, just tell his story to one person, and if they can't take him, then challenge them to tell one more person, and so on, and so on. Bentley's person HAS to be out there somewhere. Please help me find him. Please help me not to let Bentley down."

Grayson County Humane Society
213 William Thomason Byway
Leitchfield, KY 42754
(270) 230-8839

_________________
Please save Bentley - isn''t one year in a shelter enough?"

No comments: