UPDATE-11/16/11 Cocker Spaniel Needs A Home and Donations GA



This is an e-mail I received.

CROSS POSTING – PLEASE SHARE!!!


CONTACT: Petra at newbeginningsanimalrescue@gmail.com

I came back into our neighborhood from running errands Sunday night, which is when I found this little girl in a neighbors yard, eating acorns... She was very, very scared when I approached her but she didn't run from me either, just kind of stayed out of arms reach. Then she almost got hit by a car that drove into the neighborhood way to fast. That's when I spoke to her very firm and told her to sit. Poor girl... she looked so scared but she didn't move and I finally had a chance to get my hands on her and carry her to my truck.

Once at home, she took right to my dogs but they didn't want any part of her and were very stand-offish, which is strange for them. I put a collar and leash on her and walked her through the entire neighborhood, knocking on almost all doors. Nobody had ever seen her before and neither had I.

Back at home, I looked her over well and saw that she was really dirty, her hair grown way over her toe nails. She is real small, which is why I figured she had to be a puppy still, maybe 9 months at the most. I found someone to keep her in quarantine - thank you Sheryl Barton - and the next day I got word from Karen Talbot that she had a family who had been waiting for a blonde, young Cocker Spaniel. I was sooo excited for her but the excitement did not last long...

When she was checked for a micro chip - there was none - she was also HW tested... Come to find out, this poor baby is about 2-3 years old and is high HW positive. :-( Before she can go up north, she has to be treated and must be healthy. I don't have the money to do this and neither does anyone else at Carpathia Paws, which is why we have to start a chipin yet again... I am sorry, I hate to keep asking for money but it's the only way to help these babies.

We all agree that this little girl was most likely abused and it is very obvious that she was neglected. She so badly wants to be loved and I'd love nothing more than to send her up north into a wonderful forever home where she finally understands that she is not a burden to anyone and that she is LOVED.

If you can help, please contribute:
http://johnsqueen.chipin.com/cocker-spaniel-girl-in-need

10 comments:

Alex V. said...

What a sweet girl. Reminds me of my cocker, Bella. I'll post a link on the zim cocker forum!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, Alexandra for posting a link on the zim cocker forum.
Bella must be a real cutie.

Anonymous said...

She is in Georgia, not West Virginia.

Anonymous said...

How is she doing now??

Anonymous said...

This is from Petra who rescued her

"Here is what I wrote to the donor's:


Dear __________,



I have some news I have to share with you, which I wished I would not have to share… Here it goes… Our little cocker girl was in quarantine with one of Meike Wilder’s (Carpathia Paws) foster mom’s until she would go up north. The family who originally had been interested in her, did not get back with us but there was a wonderful rescue that committed to her. She was to go for treatment this week but for some reason, Meike’s foster mom took it upon herself to put a posting on our local Craigslist last week under “Lost and Found,” as she was convinced that this little girl was being missed by someone – I was completely unaware of these happenings until Meike called me and gave me the news that she was reunited with her owner!



I was beside myself and so was Meike. She told me she has no idea what her foster mom was thinking. Here we have a dog that is heart worm positive and has hook worms… Why would she want to reunite her with the person who so obviously got her into that state?! Apparently, the reunion was full of tears and I was told the woman had never even heard of heart worms and was going to take her to the vet the very next day. It gets even worse… Supposedly, she also told the foster mom that she was also missing a male cocker and is hoping to get him back, too. It’s no surprise that neither the female or the male are fixed! She said she would take care of that, too. Hmmm… She continued by stating that she wants to become involved with the rescue and said she would help with the big transport that took place last weekend. It is no surprise to me or Meike that she did not show up… Had I known that Meike’s foster mom was going to handle the situation this way, I would have never brought her to her in the first place and of course Meike is just as upset as I am but at this point, there is nothing I can do to change things. The foster mom is very happy about this outcome and is convinced she did a wonderful thing. :-(



Again, I don’t even know what else to say about this situation other than that I hope the lady really will take steps to much improve how she takes care of this little one and the male as well, if he is returned to her. Please let me know if you would like for me to refund your donation. I have many other causes I can use your donation for, as I am the sole rescuer for the cats at Liberty County Animal Control and very little comes to the cats unfortunately; however, I can completely understand if you would like to use this amount toward another worthy cause.



Many blessings,

Petra"

Anonymous said...

Can animal control/rescue monitor the situation to make sure this cocker gets the medical treatment she needs??

Elizabeth said...

There is no law that states that an owner in GA is required to treat an animal for these conditions as far as I know so I don't think AC is legally obligated to deal with this. Not sure. I am sure that if there is anyway possible the rescue can, they will try to encourage the woman to get care for this dog. It is possible that the dog will be found again lost unless the owner takes care of her in a different manner.

Elizabeth said...

Here is a link to animal law information


http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusgacodeann4_11_1_17.htm

Elizabeth said...

It does seem like a veterinarian seeing un treated HW or hook worm that is causing illness would have to report this but I can't see any law that requires this.

Elizabeth said...

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ddusvetreporttable.htm