Whose At The Shelter & An Interview With Cat Lover & Writer Peggy Johnson

Betty, Billy, Bobby, the cocker spaniels, and Heath have rescues pending. Yeh!!! There is another transport on the 15th. Casey, Kelly, Maxine, Stewie, Trixie, Grey, Dozer,Willow, Georgette, Smokey, Rocky and Peggy have been at the shelter so long. They are all good animals.Please take a look at their pictures on Petfinder and contact mcasrescues-owner@yahoogroups.com
if interested in adopting or rescuing them. There are ball players, lovers of belly rubs, butt wigglers, and kissers in this bunch. I hope they ALL get to go to rescues on the 15th or get adopted.

Caseyand friendsneedoutofhere

UPDATE! 12/12/07 Casey and Smokey ADOPTED! Kelly, Stewie, Maxine, Rocky have rescues. As far as I know everyone else has rescues except Georgette, Willow, Peggy, and Dixie.
UPDATE ! 1
2/15/07 Dozer rescued.























Peggy Johnson has been writing since she was a little girl. She sold her first piece to Easy Riders mag in the 80's. She lives with lots of kitties, a dog, and a very patient husband.

How many cats live with you?

Well, right now I have 12 cats. I lost a good friend during the cat food thing. So, I'm real careful about any canned food now. When we recently moved from our 22 acres well,they were family so we loaded them up and moved them, lock stock and litter box. I've had 22 or more roaming around at various times. It's hard. Sometimes they choose to adopt a neighbor. I let them go. I'm just a halfway house sometimes.

Do they stay outside in the winter?


They are all in the house. They go out to the cat cage whenever they want to. They have a cat door. I couldn't make my babies stay out. We made a cat door in the garage for any strays so they can get warm too. I've not been here long enough to make friends with the new cats.

What types of cat do you live with?

All of my cats were strays. They range in age from 2-12
I have Calicos and Siamese, black cats, orange cats, black and white cats.

When did you get your first cat?


My husband and I were married a week heading for northern Montana on a special construction job when there on the side of the road was a small white kitten. My husband turned the car around and we picked the kitty up. Of course his name was Snowy. My husband laughed and said that'll teach me to turn around on a busy highway for a cat, he's been doing it for me ever since. Snowy taught me how to love cats. He taught me what a cat owner should do and be.

Is it hard to take care of that many cats?


In a way it is. I go through a 20 lb.bag of food every two weeks and a lot of kitty litter. Thank Goodness for Walmart! I have a huge outside cat cage and in the summer they love it but in the winter, they are creatures of comfort you know. I saved up and found a good vet and slow but sure, neuter and spayed everyone. I've always done that even to my feral friends. It's the best way to stop overpopulation and protect kittens.

When did you start writing about cats?


My first cat story was called Wish Kitty. I wrote it in the early 80's as a bedtime story for my kids. I would read them bits and pieces every night before they went to sleep. After a bunch of revisions, it's now on Amazon.com in the shorts department.

WishKitty

The kitty on the cover is mine, her name is Fancy. I found her in Texas during a flash flood. Since then I have found that cats give me an endless supply of adventures to write about

Tell us about the Christmas Anthology your new story is in and about what inspired the story.

I saw a photo of a soldier petting a cat and then the story just popped into my brain.I fixed it a bit to fit with Christmas theme.


What do you like most about cats?


I think what I like the best is their ability to adjust to their surroundings.They are gentle creatures, even my wild ones become gentle in time. Fancy the kitty from the flood, took her about 6 months before I could pick her up and snuggle her. Each cat has their own personality, no two are the same. But they all have a special look they give you. Unlike dogs which require I walk them and well, run around and bark alot, all the cats I have met are calm peaceful and love me unconditionally. If I am sad, they know it. Why do I like them? Because they like me.


What advice can you give to a first time cat owner?


Be ready for some fun adventures. Kittens turn into adults but always have kitten hiding just below the surface ready to pounce on an unsuspecting toe. But something to think of, if it's going to be your first cat, consider an adult cat. I have adopted quite a few adults, lost kitties, abandoned kitties and rescues. Look in their eyes, do they stay calm when you approach them? Talk to them, someone will come to you, purr at you, blink a smile at you. The adult cat has less of a chance to find a person they can love. So, if you get your first cat or kitten be ready to change litter boxes, get them shots, keep plenty of water down for them but most of all get ready for a really fun life. Words of caution...cats are addictive, one never seems to be enough.

No comments: